Friday, June 1, 2012

K is for Karma

So, even though it is a little (alright, a lot) late, I thought that I would join in the Pagan Blog Project (http://paganblogproject.com/). Different people are reflecting on a different letter every two weeks about their spiritual and magical paths. This week is the letter K. And since I am still new to all this pagan stuff, I picked a familiar idea ...Karma.

I think that Karma is an idea that most people have heard of before. It is the idea that everything has a cause and effect. It originates from Eastern religions.  There is much more to it then what I am going to talk about, but I am going to stick to what I believe.

Do I believe in Karma? Defiantly. But probably not in the traditional way that those of the eastern religions might view it. To me it boils down to every action has a reaction. I think that if you do something bad or with ill intentions it is going to come back around. Really, I don't understand how a person can think they can do something bad and there is not going to be a consequence. I also think that if you do something very bad, what is going to come back to you will be just as bad as the original deed. Is it going to happen right away? Maybe not. But eventually whatever you have done is going to come back to bite you.

But on the opposite end, if you do something good then something good will happen to you. I don't think that you have to do something huge to get some good karma. Just helping somebody or saying something nice to a person that is having a hard day is enough. Should you do good things just to have something good will happen? No, you should do good things because that is what you truly believe is right. I just wish that everyone would.

I don't think that Karma builds up. I think one action gets one reaction. It might seem like it builds up, especially if you do a lot of good or bad deeds at one time.

Now, with all that being said, here comes the big question... is everything that happens to you a result of Karma? I have thought of it quite a bit recently. I do believe that everything that you do is going to have a reaction. But I don't think that everything that happens to you is because of something you do. In life stuff happens. I think life is all about learning lessons and the things that happen in your life are meant to teach.

Here is an example...

Today I left for work at the same time I always do. However, I ended up arriving 15 minutes late. There was an accident blocking my normal route and so I had to find another way to get there. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to do that and I realized I didn't have the right number to call to tell them I was going to be late. In the end I made and didn't get in trouble because they knew what was going on.

Did I do anything to cause this to happen to me? No. Did I learn a lesson? Yes. I learned that I need to have all the right phone numbers with me and to know an alternate route to get where I am going. Essentially to be better prepared.

So the whole point of this...
1) Karma does exist.
2) Every action has a reaction.
3) Not everything happens because of Karma, often it happens in order for you to learn a lesson.



No comments:

Post a Comment