Friday, June 22, 2012

M is for Meditation

Meditation is something I have been interested in long time, even before I even knew anything about paganism or spirituality. I remember I checked out a book out from the library about meditation when I was in 8th grade. I have read numerous articles online on the subject. I understand that there are many health benefits that come with adding meditation to a daily routine. I feel meditation or some sort of mental discipline is something important to have in my spiritual path.

The only problem is that meditation is something that I have a really hard time with.

I start trying to get into a routine. I have no problem sitting still. The problem comes with getting my mind to quiet down. It is always thinking, wondering if I am doing this right. I guess like many people I am looking for instant results. And up until this point, every time I have given up when I have gotten too discouraged. And then eventually I will try again. 

But this time I would really like to stick with it and have it become a permanent part of my life. I guess that is part of have mental discipline. Not giving up when things don't go they way I think they should. And I shouldn't expect it to be easy or prefect the first time or even the twentieth time. The most important thing is to keep trying.

Do you practice a form of meditation? Have any tips for somebody who is struggling?

1 comment:

  1. I also have issues clearing my mind when meditating - I've found counting my breathing to keep it regular helps a bit. I've also found that practicing yoga helps me get better at letting go of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete