Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Un-funny Jokes

I was watching the end of "The Burn" on Comedy Central, waiting for "The Daily Show" to come on. At the end of the show, the host started joking about the death of "Top Gun" director Tony Scott. I am not familiar with actually what happened with Tony Scott's suicide.  I am sad for his family and wish them the best.

However, that is not the point of this post. The point of the post is "The Burn." The point is the "jokes" the host was making about Tony Scott. He was making fun of his death. I was horrified by the things he was saying. When did joking about death like that become funny? Especially just a week or so after the event.

I know that we make fun of a lot of things in American society. And I feel that I have a pretty good sense of humor. But I do think there is a point when you go to far. Joking about a tragic event or somebody's death crosses that line. Why do people go for the shock value? What is wrong with coming up with a clever original joke? Or is that too hard?

Just thought I would put my two cents in.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment