Friday, January 25, 2013

B is for Body

We all know that we only have one body.

And I'm working on taking care of mine better. It's not a New Year's resolution, it is something that I have been working on for awhile. I exercise regularly and have been working to clean up my diet. It is going to take some time, and breaking bad habits isn't easy.

I think that taking care of my body is part of taking care of my spirit.

Several months ago there was a big to do about weight and the Pagan community. Many people seemed upset that some people wanted to tell them it wasn't alright for them to live the way they wanted. I even wrote response posts (here and here). I don't want to get into that argument again.

I am just wondering if there will be a time to discuss healthy living without people getting offended?

I feel that what we are doing to are bodies as a society is a problem. I wish more people would take the time to look at what they are eating and how it is effecting them.  And, because I happened to watch "Vegucated" last night on Netflix, how their food is made and how it is treated before it gets to them.

But at the same time I completely understand that people don't want healthy living shoved down their throat. I understand they don't want to be criticized for how they live their lives.

So here is what I'd like to know...
Do you think that taking care of your body is part of taking care of your spirit?
How do you feel about discussing healthy living?

A healthy body is the guest-chamber of the soul; a sick, its prison.  
~Francis Bacon


pbp2

4 comments:

  1. I find it is very difficult to have a discussion of healthy living with people. Even though I am interested in it I think there are times for this talk and times to table it, for example AT the Table, I want to enjoy the experience and leave people to their own choices and want others to do the same.
    Other times, it doesn't bother me at all.
    I must say though that I am seldom the one who brings up this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. It is a hard topic to discuss. Nobody wants their choices questioned. But at the same time, if we don't discuss it, nothing will change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, excellent post. Thank you for sharing.

    I agree that taking care of the body should be a part of taking care of the spirit. Just as we work to clear blockages in our subtle bodies, we should also clear them in the physical. If one portion of self is suffering, it can resonate in all other areas.

    I happen to be one of those people that doesn't take care of her body. I smoke, don't exercise, and eat the wrong foods. I've found these practices to be some of the hardest things to change in my life. I've moved toward changing all of them various times through various means, but it never seems to stick. I am, in fact in the middle of one such movement right now. I've found that small changes occurring over a long period of time tend to have more sticking power than those attempts in which I try to change everything at once. Vast and swift change tends to lead to burnout and sometimes even more destructive behavior.

    I don't think that this particular topic will ever be an easy one to discuss. People are well aware of their actions, and more than likely ashamed of themselves, but can't seem to find the inner will to make a change. We don't like to have our faults illuminated or discussed. It's a shame, but it's part of human nature.

    In my own situation, I cling to hope. Through spiritual practices and introspection, I've gained will to make other necessary changes. A strong spiritual practice and connection can really aid a person in seeing their true self by shedding light upon our strengths while also dragging our weaknesses out into the open so that we can find a better way to manage ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! You're right about small changes being easier to stick to. It is also easier to stick to something when you can see it's making an impact in your life.

      I think that it is important to acknowledge our weaknesses and work to improve them. But at the same time we can't let them define us. I think that the journey and the work we put into improving ourselves is just as important as the final goal we are trying to achieve.

      Delete